[Home ] [Archive]   [ فارسی ]  
:: Volume 12, Issue 1 (Scientific Journal of Kurdistan University of Medical Sciences 2007) ::
SJKU 2007, 12(1): 54-59 Back to browse issues page
Survey of frequency and outcome of PCNL operations in Kurdistan province
Heshmatolah Soofi Majidpour Dr 1, Vahid Yousefinejad Dr
1- Assistant Professor , Hmajidpour@yahoo.com
Abstract:  
Background and Aim: Surgery for removal of urinary system stones has improved very much. At the present time standard therapy for stones which do not respond to ESWL, and also for large or multiple stones is PCNL. In this method the stones are broken into small pieces and taken out. This method has a better outcome and minimal morbidity rate. The aim of this study was to assess the outcome of PCNL operations in Kurdistan province since 1383. Materials and Methods: This was a cross sectional descriptive analytic study. The study group comprised all the patients who had undergone PCNL from 1383 to 1385 (100 patients). Sampling method was census. Data collected by reviewing the patients` medical records and were registered in check lists. The collected data were analyzed by means of 2 and T-test using SPSS win soft ware. Results: from 1383 to 1385, 100 PCNL operations had been done on 66 (66%) men and 34 (34%) women. The mean age of the patients was 38.33±12.81. (age rang: 17-72 years old). The mean operation time was 86.91±24.12 minutes and the mean size of the stones was 33.72±9.81mm. The mean hospitalization time was 2.33±0.65 days and the mean narcotic (petidin) dose was 57.6±24. 17% of the patients developed some kind of complication, but no problem observed in the other 83%. In general 91% of the operations were successful. 2% of the patients needed another surgery and in 7% of the patients, the remaining stones were treated by use of ESWL. The most common type of stones were calcium oxalate. There was a significant relationship between the operation time, dose of narcotic and duration of hospitalization (p=0.000). Conclusion: The result of this study were compatible with previous studies and confirms PCNL as a successful surgical method for treatment of the urinary system stones.
Keywords: Urinary system stones, PCNL, Kurdistan
Full-Text [PDF 99 kb]      
Type of Study: Research | Subject: General
Received: 2009/05/5
Send email to the article author

Add your comments about this article
Your username or Email:

Write the security code in the box >


XML   Persian Abstract   Print



Volume 12, Issue 1 (Scientific Journal of Kurdistan University of Medical Sciences 2007) Back to browse issues page
مجله علمی دانشگاه علوم پزشکی کردستان Scientific Journal of Kurdistan University of Medical Sciences
مجله علمی دانشگاه علوم پزشکی کردستان Scientific Journal of Kurdistan University of Medical Sciences
Persian site map - English site map - Created in 0.05 seconds with 30 queries by YEKTAWEB 3658